HOME | GALLERY | LINKS | SWORDSWALLOWER.COM | KUNG FU |SHOP
A Bibliography of American Swordsmanship
1734 - 1943
- La scherma di spada - 1902
Behn, George W.
- A Concise System of Instruction, Arranged and Adapted for the Volunteer Cavalry of the United States - Savannah 1842
Benedict, George H.
- Manual of Boxing, Club Swinging, and Manly Sports - A.G. Spalding & Bros. 1883
- First Aid in Fencing - The Journal of HEALTH AND PHYSICAL EDUCATION November, 1936
Berriman, Capt. M. W.
- The Militiamans Manual - NY 1861 (Sword exercise originally by Seager)
Biddle, Anthony Drexel Sr.
- Do or Die: A Manual on Individual Combat - 1937, revised 1944, 1975
- A Compleat System of Fencing - VA 1734
Blakeslee, Fred Gilbert
- Sword Play for Actors - 1905
- Outing (Self defence with a Cane pg.489) - 1898
- Fencing - 1904 (with Senac - Art of Fencing)
Cass, Eleanor Baldwin
- The Book of Fencing - 1930
Castello, Maestro Julio Martinez
- "Theory of Fencing" - 1931
Cooke, Phillip St. Geo.
- Cavalry Tactics; Or Regulations for the Instruction, Formations and Movements of the Cavalry of the Army and Volunteers of the United States - NY 1861, 1862, 1864
Corbesier, A. J.
- Principles of Squad Instruction for the Broadsword - Annapolis 1869
Craig, Robert H.
- Rules and regulations for the sword exercise of the cavalry : to which is added, the rules for drill, and the evolutions of the light cavalry - Baltimore 1812
- Saber and Bayonet - Proceedings of the United States Naval Institute Vol 32-4 (pg 1213) - 1906
- The Artillerist - Hartford 1819, 1821
Davis, Col J. Lucius
- The Troopers Manual or Tactics for Light Dragoons and Mounted Rifleman - Richmond 1861
- Manual of Athletic Requirements, USN Academy - 1933, 1936
Dunn, Maj. R.I.
- A Condensed Military Pocket Manual - 1841
- The American Militia Officers Manual, Being a Plain and Concise System of Instruction for Infantry, Field and Horse Artillery, Cavalry and Riflemen - 1825
- Petty Officers Drillbook USN - (1904)
- Manual of Instruction for the Volunteers of the Confederate States - Richmond 1861
- The Horseman - NY 1844
-"Rules and Regulations for the Sword Exercise of the Cavalry. To which is added, The Review Exercise"
- "An ELUCIDATION Of REGULATIONS For The FORMATIONS And MOVEMENTS Of CAVALRY." - The first American from the third London edition. - Salem [Mass.] : Printed by Joshua Cushing, for W. Norman, Boston, 1804.
Hoyt, Epaphras esq
- Rules and Regulations for Drill, Saber Exercise, Equitation, Formation and Field Movements of Cavalry - Mass 1818 2nd ed.
- FUNDAMENTAL SWORDSMANSHIP - Edwards Bros. Inc., Ann Arbor MI - 1939
Kibbe, William. C.
- The Volunteer - 1855
Le Marchant, Major Gen. John Gaspard
- Rules and Regulations for the Sword Exercise of the Cavalry - London 1796, Philadelphia 1808 (Uncredited US 3rd Edition from the London 1805, 1 plate)
Margueritte, T. De St.
- “A Treatise On The Art Of Fencing For the use of the Officers of the United States, dedicated to the officers of Virginia” - Winchester, 1808.
Manrique, Ricardo E.
- Fencing Foil Class Work Illustrated - 1920
- The Army and Navy Gentleman’s Companion - London - 1780, 1784 (Mentioned in New York advertisements)
- A Practical Treatise on Infantry Sword - Boston 1833
Monstery, Col. Thomas Hoyer
- Self-Defense for Gentlemen and Ladies: A Nineteenth-Century Treatise on Boxing, Kicking, Grappling, and Fencing with the Cane and Quarterstaff Hardcover – 1877 (Ben Miller Editor 2015 edition)
- On Fencing - 1943
O'Reilly, John Boyle
- Ethics of Boxing and Manly Sport - Boston 1888
O'rourke, Capt. Matthew J
- A New System of Sword Exercise - NY 1872
- Infantry Sword Exercise - Richmond 1868
Patten, George Washington
- Infantry Tactics, Bayonet Drill, and Small Sword Exercise - NY 1861, 1862 (Smallsword Added), 1863, 1864, 1865
Patton, George S. Jr.
- "The Form and Use of the Saber" in Cavalry Journal - March 1913
- Foil and Sabre Fencing (Scherma di Spada e Sciabola) - Baltimore 1905
Riboni, Lieut. Giuseppe
- Broadsword and Stick or Quaterstaff Play - Chicago 1862
Richardson, William Augustus
- Manual of athletic requirements, USN Academy - 1920, 1922, 1927,...
- Foil and Sabre a Grammar of Fencing - 1892
- The Art of Defence on Foot - NY 1824 (3rd Edition, 1st in US, London 1798, 1804)
- Exercises in Small Arms and Field Artillery Arranged for the Naval Service (Lockwood, Henry H.) - Philly 1852
Senac, Regis & Louis
- The Art of Fencing - 1904, 1915
Spicer, William F
- "On the Saber and Bayonet" (Commentary on A.C. Cunningham) - United States Naval Institute Proceedings Vol. 33-1 (pg 379) - 1907
- A New System of Broad and Small Sword Exercise - Phila 1843, 1844
- A System of Tactics; or, rules for the exercises and manuvres of the Cavalry and Light Infantry and Riflemen of the United States - 1826
- Gymnasium Manual - (Unknown) - 1906
- Fundamentals of Foil Fencing - Joseph Vince Publisher New York, NY 1937
Warford, Aaron A
- How to Fence - NY 1884
Wayne, Henry C.
- Sword Exercise Arranged for Military Instruction. - Washington 1850
- Manual of Physical Exercises - 1867